Wednesday, November 4, 2009

102 days left...

In 102 days, February 12th 2010, I'll be 30 years old. 102 days of my twenties. I've decided to relive it by writing one humorous or eventful moment from my twenties for the next 102 days. As for the reasoning; it's not to dwell or live in the past, merely to remember and celebrate wonderful times in my life. I'm placing no boundaries on this list. I will remember what I will remember.

Turning 20:

I was living with Blaine in St. Louis county. We had gotten an apartment together a month prior. I don't remember the night per se, but I imagine we got drunk and I celebrated what I was certain would be my decade to make the world my own. Although I can't say for sure, I'm certain I had plans and visions of rock stardom. (didn't happen) I'm sure I hoped I would have a beautiful and sexy wife. (did happen!) I was certain I would be an inspiration. (jury's out, keep working kid)
I love the naivete that I still thought a had a shot. I know now that I still have shots; they just come in more subtle forms and you have to look for them. Nothing is handed to you anymore. You have to decide what you want and seek it out while somehow combining the tact, grace, and insight you've learned from a decade of blindly trying and having the young audacity to wonder why the entire world isn't yet blowing you for how brilliant you are.
I started my twenties thinking I'd own the world, or at least a piece of it. I'm ending my twenties knowing that to own the world at such a young age causes wars, plague, petulance, and bad fashion sense. I'm just hoping to be a good husband, friend, coworker, and someday...a good dad.
Another memory tomorrow.
-80Thurston

No comments:

Post a Comment